Camerata's big night for drought stricken farmers
Camerata has long been connected to audiences in Queensland’s regional communities. They visit every year, and partner with not for profit charity Drought Angels, (who support Australian farmers), to identify towns in need of the economic benefits of an orchestra hitting their town!
So when Camerata’s Artistic Director Brendan Joyce saw a post on Drought Angels’ Facebook page last week about farming families hitting rock bottom, after their sixth year of consecutive drought, he was moved to act.
Rather than waiting for this year’s tour to assist he set about creating a free event along with The Wandering Cooks on Sunday 18th March at their venue in West End, as well as a money can’t buy mega raffle prize to raise much needed funds that can be used ASAP!
Joyce said, “After putting the call out around town, our local performing arts companies were quick to respond without question to provide some fantastic prizes which when brought together have become The Golden Ticket worth over $2800. Raffle tickets are on sale now via https://www.rafflelink.com.au/drought with all proceeds going to Drought Angels, who will use the money to send pre-paid visas to farmers who need it most.”
The Golden Ticket includes:
· 2 Tickets to American Idiot - Queensland Performing Arts Centre
· 2 Opening Night tickets to Cinderella - Queensland Ballet
· 2 Premium tickets to Merry Widow and Don Giovanni - Opera Q
· 2 x 3 Performance Subscriptions - Queensland Symphony Orchestra
· 2 x Opening Night tickets to Twelfth Night - Queensland Theatre
· 2 x Opening Night tickets to 4Seasons - Expressions Dance Company
· 2 x VIP Opening Night tickets to The Mathematics of Longing - La Boite Theatre:
· 2 x Opening Night tickets to Coupling (MELT Festival) featuring Camerata – Brisbane Powerhouse
· 2 x 4 Performance Subscriptions - Camerata
The raffle will be drawn at the event on Sunday 18th March at which Camerata will also provide entertainment, performing Renewing Rain by Christopher Healey. This work was commissioned in 2015 by Camerata in response to the community of Longreach and the drought in the area. The recent wet weather experienced through western Queensland delivers much needed relief, however a huge amount of ongoing support is required for these communities as the effects of the lengthy drought continues to be felt by farmers and local businesses.
5.30 pm Sunday 18 March at the Wandering Cooks. Entry is free (food & drink will be available for purchase)